Cook County Treasurer's Office - 3/13/2020
To help protect taxpayers and employees against the spread of the new coronavirus, the Cook County Treasurer’s Office will close at noon today, March 13, 2020, and remain closed indefinitely, Treasurer Maria Pappas said today.
"We have not had a case of the coronavirus in our office and I want to keep it that way,"Pappas said. "While it is of surpassing importance to protect our employees and visitors to the building from this virus, it is important to continue serving taxpayers."
In the meantime, key personnel will work remotely to collect tax payments, issue refunds and perform the other office functions, Pappas said. Further aspects of our plan include:
- The Office continue to accept payments at cookcountytreasurer.com, where more pay than at Chase branches.
- Mail and payments continue to be accepted at the Chase lockbox, community banks and Chase branches, ensuring that distribution of tax revenue to taxing districts is not interrupted.
- Taxpayers seeking answers to questions regarding property taxes can contact us via the website. Questions are answered by email by staff working remotely.
- Callers to 312.443.5100 remain able to use the automated menu to answer basic questions. They will be directed to the website should they need additional information.
- The website is available in more than 100 different languages. Visitors can download informational brochures in 24 languages.
"I will evaluate the situation on a daily basis to determine when it is advisable to reopen," Pappas said.